Sfcapn avatar 256x256
South Florida Council of Advanced Practice Nurses

Important regarding malpractice coverage

Posted almost 2 years ago by Vicky Stone-Gale

If you currently are employed and receive a W-2 from your employer and then either leave that practice to open your own practice, or the employer decided to now do a 1099 instead of a W-2, you will need to obtain different coverage as an Individual. It is possible that you may not be covered if there is a claim made aganst you if you have not converted your policy from employed to individual.  The cost difference is minimal. Proliability (Mercer) does have policies that covers individual, employed and also cosmetics, for those that need a reasonable cosmetic policy if you are doing this in your practice. It is extremely less than other companies (approximately $6,000.00 less).